The Coastside Fire Protection District first came into existence in 1879 as the Half Moon Bay Volunteer Fire Department, commonly known as “Hose Company No. 1”. Funds and equipment were scarce and consisted of 300 feet of hose, a few buckets, and some axes. In 1880 the community took up a collection and purchased their first hose cart. After a serious fire on Main Street, the community decided to continue a Volunteer Fire Department and pay for it by subscription instead of forming a Fire District or incorporating. On November 8, 1899 the first official meeting of Hose Company No. 1 was held in the IOOF Hall. Later in 1899, funds were authorized for the purchase of fire hydrants and more hose.
The Hose Company decided to hold a Masquerade Ball as a fund-raiser in 1900. This was the beginning of a long tradition. Later in 1900, the Hose Company bought a fire bell and another hose cart. The bell can still be seen at the corner of Main Street and Higgins Canyon Road in front of Fire Station #40. The first firehouse consisted of a wooden shed on Kelly Street and the volunteers met at the IOOF hall.
In 1926 a Fire District was formed and the department was reorganized. In 1928 the first pumper truck was purchased and the hose carts retired. In 1936 the site was purchased for the historical firehouse 700 Main street with the existing building being rebuilt, more equipment was purchased, and alarm boxes added.
In 1944 a new Fire District was formed that covered the area from Torres Lane in Moss Beach to Martins Beach in the South. Later that same year, the District hired its first professional firefighters.
In 1990 the Half Moon Bay Volunteer Fire Department was officially incorporated and made retroactive to its inception date of December 13, 1899. It is a Not for Profit organization under IRS Rule 501 (c) 3.
On July 6, 1998, Half Moon Bay Fire Protection District enters into a Fire Protection Services Agreement with Point Montara Fire Protection District.
In November of 1998, the District moved into a new fire station at 1191 Main Street, Half Moon Bay and the old station was sold. It was purchased and renovated into offices.
On October 1, 2007, Half Moon Bay Fire Protection District and Point Montara Fire Protection District consolidated and form a new District called Coastside Fire Protection District.
On June 2, 2008, Coastside Fire Protection District's Governing Board entered into a Cooperative Agreement with California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL Fire) to supply the management and personnel of your fire services.
On June 26, 2013, Coastside Fire Protection District's Governing Board approves a seven-year Cooperative Fire Protection Agreement with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) commencing on July 1, 2013 and ending on June 30, 2020.
On June 27, 2016, Coastside Fire Protection District is accredited as a District of Distinction through Special District Leadership Foundation.